Sunday, July 27, 2008

114. Sacred Cows by Karen E Olson

About the book

After a late night on the town, New Haven police reporter Annie Seymour is yanked from her bed by an early morning phone call from her editor. Soon she's shivering on a wet, dark city street, staring down at the once beautiful, now broken body of a Yale University coed." "Paid to observe and get just the facts before writing up her stories for the New Haven Herald, Annie finds herself drawn to the story of an Ivy League sophomore whose secret moonlighting led to her violent murder. But after Annie links the girl's death to a network of vice and fraud buried deep in the city's shadows, the cynical reporter is shocked to discover her own mother is involved." "With help from a sexy private investigator, Annie investigates but stumbles upon one obstacle after another. Her cop lover stonewalls her, her editor pulls her off the assignment to cover a surreal parade of fiberglass cows grazing throughout the city, and an overeager cub reporter nips at her heels to get the scoop for himself."

I loved this book. Annie is great. I love how she speaks her mind without thinking about the outcome. I have been doing that for years. I am sorry that there are only three more books in this series.
Sometimes I really think the publishers get it wrong.
Now I am off to track down the second book in the series. I ordered No 3 and pre-ordered No 4. None of my usual haunts to buy books has No 2, I will have to check with some used book sites.

9 comments:

Karen Olson said...

Thank you so much for such a great review, and I'm thrilled you liked the book and Annie so much! Unfortunately, SECONDHAND SMOKE is out of print, but it's easily attainable in the library or used through Amazon or eBay. (The publisher decided not to put it out in paperback.)

Heidi said...

Silly publisher's have no idea what I want to read.

I was able to buy a copy thru Amazon. I can't wait for it to get here.

Literary Feline said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed this one. I really like Annie too. She's everything I wish I was. Haha

Heidi said...

Have your read the rest of the series?

I think your pretty outspoken.

Literary Feline said...

Maybe online. :-) In person, I'm pretty quiet. I tend to bite my tongue and keep my thoughts to myself. I like that you think that though!

Heidi said...

I need to learn how to bite my tongue. It might make life easier at times.

Heidi said...

Karen,

Your welcome. Thanks for writing such a good book

Kristie said...

See, I don't know if I was just in a weird mood or what when I read this book because it didn't do that much for me and I have read so many great things about it. I will try the second one in the series.

Heidi said...

I hope you like the second one. I guess I can really relate to Annie since I have been known to speak my mind regardless of the outcome. LOL